Friday, March 7, 2008

Simmer Down...

I haven't blogged in a while because I've simply lost my focus! Today provided me with many opportunities to regain that focus. I have deemed this my "reset" day; my "reset" button has officially been pushed.

I decided that I would spend the day at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor today. My mom works there and I thought I would kill time from 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (her shift period). This was much more appealing than another day on the couch with Paula Deen... If I never see a stick of butter again, it will be too soon...

Upon arriving at the mall, I discovered what I have termed "The Ann Arbor Geriatric Mall Walkers Society". Let me explain. Evidently, there is a large group of senior citizens that meet at the mall each morning to walk. This has become quite the social outing when muddling through the Winter hum-drums. These feisty seniors then proceed to dine at such fine places as Cinnabon, California Pizza Kitchen and Arby's, to name a few, after they've completed the morning exercise program. They do this faithfully EVERY DAY. They actually look forward to it.

I felt like fresh meat upon completing my first lap around the mall. Everyone was eying me; placing bets on whether I had a knee or an ankle surgery; running a pool as to what my age bracket is; casting lots as to what they thought my line of work would be and exchanging ideas as to the nature of my injury. Finally, after much speculation and verbal contemplation, two brave souls by the names of Art and Spanky (no, I'm not kidding) dared approach me.

"Did you get hit by a truck?" asked Spanky, who has apparently been married to Art for 60+ years and enjoys spending her children's inheritance at Macy's on a daily basis.

"Why, yes, I did as a matter of fact!" I laughingly replied.

I then proceeded to share the story of my car accident and the results thereafter with Art and Spanky (whose legal name is Martha Constance Wellston-Morrone...if memory serves...). More and more of the faithful crew gathered around as I continued on. Art, appreciating a captive audience, continued the conversation by informing me as to where I could find a good "jon". He was very adamant that I should avoid the bathroom at JC Penny's because "you never have toilet paper when you need it" and "if you need a good 'jon' and you're really in a pinch, head straight to Macy's. They're always fully stocked and tidy." Well, considering my predicament, I'm sure you can understand why I found this to be very valuable information. Art was very concerned that I would "roll" my legs off (on my scooter, I presume) in hot pursuit of a good "jon". Thank you, Art. I owe you, buddy!

Art and Spanky took great pride in introducing me to the rest of the gang. Harold had hip replacement in '94. Thelma had bilateral knee replacements in '06. Bert is contemplating hip replacement and Georgia had her left hip replaced in '04, but would like it back. That about sums up the competition of replaced joints.

After my third lap around the mall with the geriatric gang, Bert asked if I was planning to come back tomorrow. I had to laugh at this! I then proceeded to inform Bert that I am roughly 30 years old and that I don't plan on making that big of a commitment at this point in time. I also explained that I live in Sterling Heights and am on temporary sabbatical as I recover. The gang expressed great angst at this as they enjoy having a youngster as part of their group. They tried to persuade me to come back by offering to purchase me a cinnabon using their senior discount. Well, who am I to turn down that sort of an offer? I, Art, Spanky, Bert, Thelma, Georgia, Harold and gang have a date for next Monday at 9:30 a.m., same time, same place. Years of experience has taught these folks to recognize a sucker when they see one...

Now it's time for the "meat and potatoes" portion of my story. I ended the day by attending a ladies evening with my mom hosted by her church. I wasn't sure what to expect, but thought I'd go for the heck of it. I knew it had to be better than another date with Paula Deen and the couch...

I enjoyed the evening very much. We had pedicures, manicures, massages, a fondue pot and all the PMS food a girl could ever want. It was fantastic! Being an old Baptist church, deeply routed in tradition, we, of course, had a devotional time. I was warned about this in advance; that it would be short and lame. I found myself surprised and challenged at what I heard. I can't believe the Lord used this time to speak so clearly and directly to my heart. It's like a huge light bulb went off in my "fearfully and wonderfully" made brain (and I do mean fearfully...); as though I were struck over the head with a two by four. It was time to simmer down and pay attention!

I have complained, and whined, and cried, and complained some more about being "laid up" to the extent that I've frequently found myself missing the big picture. I've wanted simply to be taken away from my circumstances and placed right back into my usual swing-of-things routine. When we long to be taken away, we are longing for a respite from our circumstances -- a break from the NOW. Everyone keeps telling me that I need to rest. From what?

Here's the deal: "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him..." Psalm 37:7. "Be still and KNOW that I am God." Psalm 46:10. Duh!!! Rest equals TRUST! I am not TRUSTING in my Savior! I am relying on ME, MY idea of WHAT I should be doing, WHEN I should be doing it and WHY I am doing it! Noticing a pattern? The biggest struggle that we as believers face in our spiritual journey is our THOUGHT PROCESS. We spend way too much time thinking about the three amigos: ME, I and US. That is a horrible way to live! "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain", "take up your cross and follow ME" - My life is HIS, it is not my own! "Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which you have of God? You are NOT your own! You were bought with a PRICE! Therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit WHICH ARE GOD'S!" I Corinthians 6:19-20. Ouch! The two by four is still going strong... That being said, here's what I SHOULD be doing:

1. - REST (OR TRUST) IN GOD'S PLAN OF SALVATION.
Hebrews 4:10 - "For he that enters into his rest has ceased from his own works as God did from His." God warns us repeatedly about hardening our hearts against His plan of humbling ourselves and accepting His plan of salvation through faith in Jesus. When we accept Him, even though we are entering into life, we are also entering into REST or TRUST. Because our salvation is not earned, it's a simple matter of trusting or resting in His plan for us.

2. - REST / TRUST IN GOD'S UNFAILING LOVE.
I John 4:16-19, "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment because in this world we are like Him. There is NO FEAR in love. But perfect love DRIVES OUT fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because HE FIRST LOVED US!" Perfect love is that which has no thought for my agenda, but full focus and concentration on unwaveringly and fearlessly RESTING through TRUSTING my Savior to be faithful to all that He has promised. Song of Solomon 2:4, "His banner over me is love!" Psalm 31:7, "I will be glad and rejoice in Your love, for YOU SAW MY AFFLICTION and KNEW THE ANGUISH OF MY SOUL." Psalm 36:5, "Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, Your faithfulness to the skies." Forgive me, Father!

3. - REST / TRUST IN HIS CARE AND PROVISION FOR YOUR LIFE.
The Bible speaks about how I need to surrender my anxieties and worries to Christ. He wants me to lay those burdens at His feet. Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened (or heavy laden - KJV), and I WILL GIVE YOU REST. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 6:25-34, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow? They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Philippians 4:19, "But my God shall supply ALL YOUR NEEDS according to HIS riches in glory." All of my thoughts and my intentions are simply a waste of time unless they are those of Christ's.

4. - REST / TRUST IN CHRIST THROUGH OTHER SAINTS' COURAGE TO INSPIRE AND MOTIVATE.
Hebrews 11:32-39, "And what more shall I say? I do now have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated -- the worlds was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground. These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would the be made perfect." These people were the original grapes! Hebrews 12:1-2, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and PERFECTER of our faith, who for the JOY set before Him ENDURED THE CROSS, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. CONSIDER HIM who endured such opposition from sinful men, SO THAT YOU WILL NOT GROW WEARY AND LOSE HEART." Because others have gone before me, I can withstand today and learn to trust God's grace. I am only called to draw from the grace He extends to me TODAY, WORRY-FREE!

I will waste no more time. Monday morning at 9:30 a.m., I will eat my cinnabon with Art and Spanky and gang, and we will talk about the only thing that matters - JESUS CHRIST. How will they know if I do not tell them? If I want to be a grape, this is where the rubber meets the road - time to simmer down and straighten up!

"When the Saints" - Sara Groves

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Val -- you cracked me up in this post! Your Paula Dean stick-of-butter comment was hilarious. And I love, loved the Art and Spanky encounter. Thoroughly enjoyable post. And with a cool reminder for all of us too =)

---------- said...

Thanks! Life has twists and turns, but I never expected this one!